As Chicago Shootings Surge, Family of Slain 13-Year-Old Calls for Peace

Print More

The family of a 13-year-old boy who was shot and killed last week by a Chicago cop issued a statement Sunday condemning allegations laid out in a recent alert issued by police leaders warning that factions of the Latin Kings “were instructed by ranking members to shoot at unmarked Chicago police vehicles,” reports the Chicago Sun Times. The alert, issued Thursday, said factions of the gang in the Ogden patrol district on the Southwest Side planned to retaliate following the police killing of Adam Toledo early March 29 in an alley in the 2400 block of South Sawyer Avenue. While the alert warned that members of the gang were likely to shoot at unmarked police vehicles, it didn’t say why the Kings would be retaliating.  “The Toledo family condemns violence against police and all other members of the community,” the family’s attorney said in a statement.

Meanwhile, according to the Chicago Police Department, the number of shootings and shooting victims in Chicago in the month of March are at their highest in four years, reports CNN. For 2021, there were 233 shooting incidents and 298 shooting victims, police data show. In March of 2020, there were 146 shootings and 175 victims; in March 2019 there were 136 shooting incidents and 165 victims; and in 2018 there were also 136 shootings, with 151 victims. Meanwhile, homicides in Chicago are up 33 percent in the first three months of the year compared to 2020, while shootings are up nearly 40 percent for the same period year-over-year. This past weekend alone, police reported 24 shootings and one fatality beginning Friday night at 6 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *