NY DA Suggests ‘Extensive’ Probe of Trump Organization

Print More

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance says he is justified in seeking financial documents from President Donald Trump and his company as part of a complex investigation into alleged insurance and bank fraud by the Trump Organization. Vance urged a federal court to allow his office to move forward with its investigation of “possibly extensive and protracted criminal conduct at the Trump Organization” and to dismiss Trump’s most recent challenge to its subpoena, requesting eight years of records from his accounting firm, Mazars USA LLP, reports the Wall Street Journal. “This is a continuation of the worst witch hunt in American history,” Trump replied.

The battle dats back to August 2019, when Vance first subpoenaed Mazars. Trump sued to block the subpoena, arguing that a sitting president couldn’t be criminally investigated. Last month, the Supreme Court rejected the president’s claims of immunity from state-level grand jury investigations. “In our judicial system, ‘the public has a right to every man’s evidence,’” said Chief Justice John Roberts. “Since the earliest days of the Republic, ‘every man’ has included the President of the United States.” Trump’s lawyers  filed an amended complaint in federal court last week, calling the prosecutor’s subpoena overbroad and issued in bad faith. Vance said Monday that argument “rests on the false premise that the grand jury’s investigation is limited to so-called ‘hush-money’ payments made by Michael Cohen on behalf of [Trump] in 2016.” He said, “The Mazars Subpoena is no different from many grand jury subpoenas routinely issued in white-collar crime investigations, which are typically dependent on financial and corporate records.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *