Illegal Border Crossings Down 50 Percent in Pandemic

Print More

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf says illegal border crossings have dropped by 50 percent after restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Associated Press reports. The Trump administration is turning back anyone crossing illegally, among other restrictions. Wolf says because migrants often come without identification paperwork, it’s not clear how to trace their medical history and to determine if they are arriving from an area hard-hit by the virus. The Trump administration has also made restricting immigration a top priority, regardless of the pandemic and had already been sending thousands of asylum seekers back to Mexico to wait out their cases. Immigration courts are still operating with limited closures and some hearings are delayed. Wolf said on Fox News “Sunday Morning Futures” that the borders between the U.S. and Mexico and U.S. and Canada are only open for trade and essential travel. It’s important to keep the more than $2 billion combined trade at both borders going, he added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *