Dick’s Considers Stopping All Gun Sales

Print More

Edward Stack, chief executive of Dick’s Sporting Goods, says his company  destroyed over $5 million in military-style, semiautomatic rifles and was reviewing whether it would continue to sell guns in its more than 720 stores, the New York Times reports. Stack spoke to “CBS Sunday Morning” while promoting his new book, “It’s How We Play the Game.” “So many people say to me, you know, ‘If we do what you want to do, it’s not going to stop these mass shootings,’” Stack said. “And my response is: ‘You’re probably right. It won’t. But if we do these things and it saves one life, don’t you think it’s worth it?’”

Stack said he and his wife, Donna, have been weighing the moral consequences of selling firearms patterned on the AR-15 and other military-style weapons since the February 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fl. The couple had learned that the gunman had bought gun in a Dick’s store, although not the one used in the Parkland shooting, which left 17 dead. Last year, Dick’s Sporting Goods, one of the nation’s largest firearms sellers, said it planned to destroy the military-style rifles it had agreed to take off its shelves weeks after the shooting. Previously, the retailer had agreed to ban the sale of military-style rifles at its 35 Field & Stream stores, and to stop selling firearms and ammunition to anyone younger than 21. Stack said the restricted sales cost the company a quarter of a billion dollars. Stack said he had removed all guns from more than 100 Dick’s stores and was considering expanding the ban to the rest of them. “We’ve got the whole category under strategic review to see what we’re going to do,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *