Prosecutors End Probe on Trump Campaign Finance

Print More

Prosecutors concluded their investigation into campaign finance violations involving President Donald Trump and must publicly release some of their files, a federal judge in New York City said Wednesday, reports the New York Times. The judge did not say whether the U.S. Attorney’s office in Manhattan plans to file additional charges in the case. The investigation, centered on hush money payments arranged during the 2016 presidential campaign to two women who said they had affairs with Trump, resulted in the conviction of the president’s former fixer, Michael Cohen. Cohen, now serving a three-year prison sentence, has said he helped arrange the hush money at the direction of Trump.

In ordering the unsealing of search warrants and related documents on a 2018 raid on Cohen’s home and office, Judge William Pauley said the campaign finance violations discussed in the papers “are a matter of national importance.” Prosecutors had been considering whether one Trump Organization executive was untruthful when testifying before the grand jury in the Cohen case. Prosecutors have also examined Trump’s role in the hush-money arrangements, and effectively labeled him an unindicted co-conspirator. Justice Department policy holds that a sitting president cannot be indicted. Trump has denied having affairs with the two women, an adult film actress known as Stormy Daniels, and Karen McDougal, a Playboy centerfold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *