$44 Million Deal Reached in Weinstein Sex Lawsuits

Print More

Harvey Weinstein, women who accused him of sexual misconduct, his former studio’s board members and the New York Attorney General reached a tentative $44 million deal to resolve lawsuits and compensate alleged victims of the Hollywood producer, the Wall Street Journal reports. Lawyers involved in the discussions told a bankruptcy-court judge Thursday that they had reached a deal but didn’t offer specific financial terms. “For the first time, as of yesterday…we now have an economic agreement …”Adam Harris, a lawyer for studio co-founder Bob Weinstein, told Judge Mary Walrath of U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, De. Harris said the agreement would provide significant compensation to Weinstein’s alleged victims as well as creditors that did business with Weinstein Co. before it filed for bankruptcy last year.

The $44 million includes about $30 million allocated for plaintiffs, including alleged victims, former Weinstein Co. employees and studio creditors, and plaintiffs’ lawyers fees. About $14 million would be used to pay legal fees of Weinstein’s associates, including his former board members who were named as defendants in lawsuits. The money would come from insurance policies, including those held by his former studio. The agreement wouldn’t affect a criminal case pending against Weinstein in Manhattan, which charges him with rape and other sex crimes. His trial is scheduled to begin in September. The tentative deal is the product of mediation sessions that began last year with the goal of reaching a global settlement of all civil suits pending against Weinstein, his former company and associates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *