FL Synagogue Bomb-Plotter Sentenced to 25 Years

Print More

A Hollywood, Fla., man who pleaded guilty to trying to blow up a South Florida synagogue suffers from such acute psychosis due to a cyst in his brain that he will be placed in a U.S. prison’s medical facility while serving at least 25 years, a federal judge in Miami ruled Tuesday. James Gonzalo Medina, 41, who was arrested last year on a charge of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction against the Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center, will be treated and then likely placed in a general prison population, reports the Miami Herald. “This is a very, very serious offense,” Scola said, noting that without the FBI’s “intervention,” many Jewish people at the synagogue could have died as a result of Medina’s bomb threat.

An FBI undercover operative sold a dummy bomb to Medina just before the planned terror attack. During Tuesday’s hearing, Medina, who has a previous criminal history, urged the judge to place him in a U.S. prison’s medical facility so neurological experts can evaluate and treat his brain condition. “I just need help,” Medina said. Medina said he became a Muslim and lost his wife and children before he carried out the bomb plot. “I lost my mind,” he said. During an earlier plea hearing in Miami, Medina seemed reluctant to accept responsibility for the planned synagogue terror attack, suggesting he was “manipulated” by a federal informant and an FBI undercover employee. But when questioned by Scola, Medina admitted he was guilty of plotting to kill innocent Jewish people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

X

You have Free articles left this month.

Want access to all our reporting? Subscribe for unlimited access or login.

SUBSCRIBE LOGIN