Charlotte’s $380,000 report to study the police’s response to last year’s Keith Scott protests was panned by activists Monday, and even criticized by some City Council members and Mayor Jennifer Roberts, who said the Police Foundation’s study is lacking, the Charlotte Observer reports. The City Council hired the Washington D.C.-based group to study the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police’s response to the protests that turned violent. The foundation gave City Council a presentation of its draft report, which some activists said was too easy on the the police. Some council members and Roberts also said the consultant needed to give the city more recommendations about how to handle a similar situation in the future. “I would like to see some more meat,” said Roberts.
Roberts said the report should have covered issues like the city’s decision to call the National Guard as well as whether the city made the correct decision in calling a curfew two days after the shooting. Last Sept. 21, after protesters shut down Interstate 85, Pat McCrory offered Charlotte the National Guard if the city would declare a state of emergency. The city decided not to seek the state’s help. That night, several police officers, protesters and bystanders were injured when protests turned violent uptown. One person was shot and killed. The Police Foundation’s Frank Straub said he can add more to the report before a final version is released. Council member Ed Driggs said he wanted “more tangible” recommendations from the foundation.