The terrorist attacks in the London and Manchester have not prompted changes in U.S. counter-terrorism policy, and one group representing U.S. cities laments such incidents are the “new normal,” McClatchy Newspapers reports. “There are no policy changes as a result of the recent attacks but we continually evaluate the threat environment,” said Lucy Martinez of the Department of Homeland Security. Seven people were killed and dozens injured on Saturday when three assailants drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing others in a market. Last month in Manchester, a suicide bomber killed 22 people and injured dozens more at an Ariana Grande concert.
David Jackson of the National Association of Counties in the U.S. said he was unaware of any immediate policy or funding changes. Trump is seeking a 6.8 percent increase in homeland security funding in the year beginning Oct. 1. Jackson said that these kinds of attacks on soft targets are “part of the new normal.” He added, ““I think homegrown terror is on the mind of every responsible public safety official.” David Inserra of the Heritage Foundation said he was not surprised no policy changes were imminent. He said the kinds of attacks seen in London are difficult to secure against, and are increasingly popular because of the availability of the weapons used. “A vehicle is something anyone can buy or rent or steal,” he said.