Trump Berates Jewish Journo Who Asked About Hate Crimes

Print More

Jake Turx, a correspondent for an Orthodox Jewish magazine in Brooklyn, was berated by Donald Trump at a news conference Thursday while trying to ask the president about a wave of bomb threats last month at Jewish venues. Trump stopped Turx, saying it was “not a fair question.” “Sit down,” the president commanded. Trump said, “So here’s the story, folks. No. 1, I am the least anti-Semitic person that you’ve ever seen in your entire life. No. 2, racism, the least racist person.”

But Turx was not accusing Trump of anti-Semitism, reports the New York Times. It was a legitimate inquiry about coordinated telephone bomb threats on three separate January days to Jewish synagogues, community centers and schools across the country that led to evacuations and FBI investigations. The Anti-Defamation League responded, “It is mind-boggling why President Trump prefers to shout down a reporter or brush this off as a political distraction.” Turx told the Times, “Regretfully, today was a day I wish we could have done over.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

X

You have Free articles left this month.

Want access to all our reporting? Subscribe for unlimited access or login.

SUBSCRIBE LOGIN