Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was killed accidentally by a poisonous mix of drugs that included heroin, cocaine, amphetamines and sedatives, said a New York City medical examiner’s report quoted by the New York Times. Hoffman’s body was found on the bathroom floor of his apartment on Feb. 2. Investigators found a needle in his arm and dozens of small packets containing heroin, some with labels like Ace of Spades.
At least five packets were found empty in the trash. The cause of death was “acute mixed drug intoxication.” It was unclear whether he had taken each drug the day he died or whether they were taken earlier and remained in his system. The death has drawn attention to the surging market for cheap heroin in New York and touched off a citywide sweep that quickly led to the arrest of three suspected dealers caught with 350 bags of heroin.