The Louisville Courier-Journal is seeking an experienced reporter who can supply high-quality news and digital content from the courthouse and criminal justice beat. This includes an emphasis on digital content through social media and blogs, plus top-notch enterprise and watchdog journalism.
- Write news and enterprise stories based on information gained through interviews, attendance at news events, and research.
- Will submit articles and blogs that are accurate, complete, objective, grammatical, well-organized, interestingly written and that comply with the News Division policies.
- Will meet deadlines and perform satisfactorily under deadline pressure.
- Will work closely with assigning editors and follow their directions.
- Will show initiative by developing news sources and generating story ideas.
- Will develop expertise in area of reporting specialization.
- Will shoot and produce video to augment stories.
- Will incorporate social media, including tweeting, Facebook, Instagram and LlnkedIn, to broaden customer reach.
- Must have valid driver’s license, up to date car insurance and own transportation.
EDUCATION or TRAINING:
College degree required. Journalism training with strong liberal arts and/or sciences emphasis; professional reporting experience essential.
Five or more years of daily newspaper reporting experience required.
Experience covering a court and criminal-justice beat, as well as knowledge of legal terminology.
Good language skills and the ability to work well with people essential. Typing and experience with personal computers essential. Ability to use a camera, mobile devices, video equipment and laptop essential.
Must be self-starter and work well with people.
Applicants should send their information to: