Some victims and families of those killed and wounded in the Aurora movie theater massacre want to know what happened to $5 million in donations collected since the violence of July 20, says the Los Angeles Times. Tom Teves, the father of Alex Teves, who was killed in the rampage at a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises,” said his group had been repeatedly misled by the Community First Foundation, which oversees the Aurora Victim Relief Fund that has been flooded with donations.
Teves speaks for a group of victims of the attack that left 12 dead and 58 wounded. On Aug. 28, the group complained that they had been shut out of the process to distribute the funds. Last week, Teves and seven others gathered for what Teves has said will be the last news conference on the matter. A coalition of 30 community groups, health professionals, and Aurora officials is in charge of making recommendations. Teves said he was first told victims and their families would get final say but now is being told the foundation can override their wishes. Community First said, “The 7/20 Recovery Committee remains committed to a robust and inclusive process that honors the input of all victims, and not just the voices of a few.”