“Timely, Targeted, Transparent” Federal Crime Grants Vowed


The Justice Department will issue $2.7 billion in anticrime grants to states and localities under the new stimulus law in “timely, targeted, and transparent fashion,” says Laurie
Robinson, acting assistant attorney general in the Office of Justice Programs. Robinson said her agency plans to post on its Web site a list of grant recipients showing “exactly where the money is going.” A key factor in determining who will receive money under the competitive grant section of the program is whether proposals will create jobs. That has not been an element in previous federal anticrime grants, Robinson said.

Under the law, 60 percent of anticrime aid under the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant program goes to states, with the other 40 percent going to localities. Robinson said she already is meeting with the Justice Department’s Inspector General and Congress’ Government Accountability Office to help insure “high accountability” in spending. Robinson spoke to the annual meeting of the Police Executive Research Forum in Washington, D.C. Jim Burch, acting director of the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Assistance, said 15 states already have submitted applications for stimulus funds.

Comments are closed.