Milwaukee Police Patrol Boost Credited With Shootings Drop

Print

An anticrime initiative that put Milwaukee police on patrol in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods this summer is taking credit for a nearly 22 percent drop in non-fatal shootings as well as a decrease in homicides this year, says the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The Neighborhood Safety Initiative is working, police and Mayor Tom Barrett said in a news conference yesterday. “The bad guys are starting to get the message: If we catch you, you are definitely going to jail,” said deputy Police Chief Brian O’Keefe.

The $2 million program, which began just before Memorial Day, is to run through Sept. 8. Between Jan. 6 and July 29 this year, there have been 275 non-fatal shootings, down from 351 during the same period in 2006. In 2006, there were 26 percent more gunshot victims, and serious shootings hit a 15-year high. In a series last year, the Journal Sentinel found shootings cost taxpayers, hospitals and people with insurance tens of millions of dollars a year and dominate police officers’ time, leading to slow response for less-urgent calls. The spike in shootings last year came even as the number of shooting deaths dropped by 18 percent.

Link: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639936

Comments are closed.