Dallas County has recorded its 18th confirmed “cheese” heroin overdose by a teenager, reports the Dallas Morning News. The latest victim was a 15-year-old boy. A friend was charged with murder because police say he mixed the black tar heroin and nighttime cold medicine together for the boy, who snorted it and was found dead the next morning.
The Morning News, which has reported extensively on the overdose trend, says it began in 2005 when use of this form of lethal heroin combination, known as “cheese,” became popular in the region. “We’ve had this drug in the community for some time and didn’t recognize it,” said Zachary Thompson, director of Dallas County Health and Human Services. “It flew under the radar of all of us. The cheese heroin has been the most instantly addictive and deadliest drug … that we have seen since the crack cocaine epidemic.”