A program designed to help substance abusers in Warren, Mi., is in danger of disappearing next year because of cutbacks in funding, reports the Detroit News. “This could be our last year,” said Judge Dawnn Gruenberg, who started the City of Warren/Center Line Alternative Substance Abuse Program about six years ago. “Our federal funding ran out a long time ago, and we’ve been getting money from the state, but that’s getting cut, too,” she said.
The threat comes at a time when the program is celebrating its success. About 400 people have gone through the program since it began. The end of the Warren drug court program could mean more drug abusers convicted of crimes will spend more time in jail and taxpayers will have to shoulder the costs of their imprisonment. More than 1,620 drug courts were being operated across the country as of Dec. 31, 2004, says the Virginia-based National Drug Court Institute. More than 450 people have graduated from the Warren program; about 75 percent of the people who enter successfully complete it.