New Orleans Shooting Despite Big Police Presence

Print More

A shooting on New Orleans’ Bourbon Street that killed one person and injured nine others early  Sunday morning occurred in a block where there were already at least 30 police officers patrolling, said Police Superintendent Michael Harrison, reports the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “This is the Bayou Classic weekend, we had Bayou Classic coverage with a large number of police officers right here in this block,” including mounted patrol officers, Harrison said. “Officers were right there who heard those shots, responded to those shots, ran right toward it.”

Mayor Mitch Landrieu said an ambulance was already a half block away before the shooting began at around 1:40 a.m. “It’s a heartbreaking situation and it’s unacceptable,” Landrieu said. “We did everything that would be expected of us. We had a robust police presence, the chief and the team did a great job getting lots of police officers all over the place, EMS was on the scene. … It’s just a tragic end to what was otherwise a beautiful weekend.” Harrison said police made two arrests at the scene involving people suspected of unlawfully carrying guns. Harrison said police were working to take a proactive approach to preventing crime over the busy weekend. During the previous 24 hours, there had been eight arrests on weapons violations. “We’ve made a strong message that this was not the time or place to bring firearms,” Harrison said. “We’ve made that very clear. … This was not something that should have happened. This was the wrong place to bring firearms.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *