NYC, NJ Explosions May Be Related, 29 Injured in Chelsea

Print More

With no international terrorist group claiming responsibility for a powerful explosion in New York City on Saturday, investigators combed through surveillance videos, interviewing eyewitnesses and sifting through remnants of the bomb for clues into an attack that left dozens wounded, the New York Times reports. It was not clear whether the same person or group was responsible for an explosion earlier on Saturday in New Jersey, which involved a device that was constructed using some similar materials. No one was injured in the New Jersey explosion. The New York Police Department, joined by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, mounted a large-scale hunt for the person or people behind the attack. Officials said they did not know of any motive .

The search took on added urgency as leaders from around the world travel to New York for the annual United Nations General Assembly this week. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the powerful explosion that rocked the Chelsea neighborhood, injuring 29 people, did not appear to be linked to international terrorism, but that it was a powerful bomb designed to kill. “This is one of the nightmare scenarios,” he said.  “We really were very lucky that there were no fatalities.” Four blocks away from the blast site, authorities found what they described as a second device. Cuomo said the devices appeared to be similar in design and one federal law enforcement official described it as a “viable device” that failed to detonate. While government officials initially were dismissive of a link between the New Jersey and New York attacks, evidence from the crime scenes seemed to lead them to change their thinking. The New Jersey blast took place when an improvised device exploded in a garbage can near a charity race that was about to start in a small town on the Jersey Shore.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *