Gunshots rang out at Raleigh, N.C.’s Crabtree Valley Mall on a busy Saturday afternoon, sending terrified shoppers fleeing and others taking cover in stores, reports the Raleigh News & Observer. The mall was locked down after shots were fired near the food court about 2:30 p.m., police said. As of 4:30 p.m., no one with gunshot wounds had been located. Nor had any suspects been arrested. Kristen Warring, 26, of Raleigh, was shopping with her boyfriend. “We heard at least 10 shots, maybe more. It was loud. We were close,” she said. “We got as low as we could, behind a barricade. Saw a lot of people running and pushing to get out. Texted 911 at that point to let them know there were 30 to 40 people – about half were children. … They said to keep low, said police were on the scene.”
Some shoppers who were near exits fled the mall when they heard the shots, using cell phone video cameras to record people leaving. Warring said those she took cover with had to stay in place about 45 minutes. “Then they let us out,” she said. “On the way out there were bags and shoes and drinks all over the place from people dropping them and running out. I was comforting a lady. It was chaotic and really frightening. I just never imagined I would be in a situation like this.” Antonio Richardson, a clothing store owner, told the Associated Press he saw two men arguing in the food court before he heard as many as four shots. Richardson said one of the men, who appeared to be in his early 20s, pulled out a gun and began shooting. Eight people were treated for minor injuries suffered during the frenzy to escape the mall but police could find no evidence of shots actually being fired.