A Canadian man previously banned from associating with Islamic State extremists was killed Wednesday as Canada’s national police force thwarted what they believed was a suicide bomb plot, reports the Associated Press. Aaron Driver, a man in his mid-20s originally from Winnepeg, allegedly planned to carry out a suicide bombing in a public area. He had been in a police spotlight for at least a year.
Driver was killed Wednesday night in the southern Ontario town of Strathroy, 140 miles southwest of Toronto. Details of how he died had not been released Thursday morning. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said it halted a possible attack after receiving credible information of a potential terrorist threat. Transit agencies in Toronto were warned of a security threat before police confronted the suspect. Police said a “proper course of action has been taken” to ensure no danger to public safety.