Mueller Report Challenges AP On Ray Rice Video; AP Stands By Its Story


A report by former FBI director Robert Mueller finds “no evidence” that anyone at the National Football League “received or viewed” footage from the inside of the elevator in which former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice assaulted then-fiancee Janay Palmer at an Atlantic City hotel last year after a Valentine's night out. The Washington Post says those findings issue a challenge to the Associated Press (AP), which reported in September, “Source says Rice video sent to NFL.”

AP said an unnamed law enforcement official says that he sent the video to the NFL and received a confirmation of sorts: “The person played The Associated Press a 12-second voicemail from an NFL office number on April 9 confirming the video arrived. A female voice expresses thanks and says: 'You're right. It's terrible.'” The Mueller report provides a case study in just how hard it is to retrace the steps of an investigative reporter. The AP isn't backing off of its reporting one bit. Executive Editor Kathleen Carroll says: “We have reviewed the report and stand by our original reporting. The Mueller team did ask us for source material and other newsgathering information, but we declined.”

Comments are closed.