OK Killer In Bungled Execution Had Been Shocked With Stun Gun That Day


The timeline of events leading to Clayton Lockett’s bungled execution in Oklahoma on Tuesday shows that he was not going to the execution chamber without a fight, says the Tulsa World. That morning, Lockett, 38, had self-inflicted injuries and had to be shocked with a stun gun and forcibly removed from his cell. At 5 a.m., he “refused orders to be restrained,” and a prison cell entry team shocked him with a stun gun after he refused a verbal order, says a report released by the state corrections department. He was taken to the prison’s medical unit, “where it was found he had a self-inflicted laceration to his right arm.”

The execution foulup, in which Lockett died of a heart attack 43 minutes after the procedure began, has led to calls for an independent investigation of the state’s lethal-injection protocol and called into question whether Oklahoma violated the U.S. Constitution’s prohibition against “cruel and unusual” punishment in Lockett’s death. Lockett was convicted of shooting a 19-year-old woman and leaving her to die in a pile of dirt in 1999 in rural northern Oklahoma. Yesterday, corrections director Robert Patton told Gov. Mary Fallin that the court of criminal appeals should be asked to issue an “an indefinite stay of execution” for inmate Charles Warner, who is set to die May 13, so the agency’s execution protocols can be revised.

Comments are closed.