Media Cautious On Newtown 911 Tapes; One Station Avoids Town on Anniversary


On December 14, Hartford's WFSB-TV will not be in Newtown, Ct., reports “As we approach the somber anniversary of the mass shooting inside Sandy Hook Elementary School, Channel 3 Eyewitness News has made the decision to stay out of Newtown that day out of respect for the community,” the station says. A Newtown First Selectman asked media to stay away and give the town the chance to be together without an audience.

Newtown released recordings of 911 calls during the shooting, but most media outlets have so far handled tapes with caution, reported the New York Times. NBC and ABC didn't use audio when reporting about the tapes, while CBS said it would, the New York Times reports. Mediaite reported that Fox News was the first network to air the tapes, and CNN broadcast a portion of the tapes. A CNN legal analyst, Mark Geragos, said the decision to air the recordings was wrong. “Other thana pure titillation, I don’t see any public interest served by this whatsoever,” he said.

Comments are closed.