Lautenberg Renews Drive to Reinstate Ban on High-Capacity Ammo Clips


After last week’s theater shootings in Colorado, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) is pushing for legislation reinstating a federal ban on the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips, Gannett News Service reports. He introduced the proposal last year after the Tucson shooting spree that wounded then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ). The bill would ban the sale of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. “We have to face the reality that these types of tragedies will continue to occur unless we do something about our nation’s lax gun laws,” Lautenberg said. (Last night, Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City suggested on CNN that police officers should go on strike in support of gun control, reports the New York Daily News.)

James Holmes, the 24-year-old suspect in the early Friday shootings at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., carried three weapons — a Remington shotgun, a Smith & Wesson M&P assault rifle, and a Glock .40-caliber handgun. The shootings killed 12 people and wounded 58. The assault rifle can fire 50 to 60 rounds per minute and is designed to hold a high-capacity clip. Holmes allegedly used a 100-round drum magazine. “No sportsman needs 100 rounds to shoot a duck, but allowing high-capacity magazines in the hands of killers … puts law enforcement at a disadvantage and innocent lives at risk,” Lautenberg said. Congress banned the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips in 1994, but the law lapsed in 2004. Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) , said banning high-capacity magazines would infringe on Americans’ constitutional rights. “You simply can’t keep these weapons out of the hands of sick, demented individuals who want to do harm,” he told Fox News. “And when you try to do it you restrict our freedoms.”

Comments are closed.