Attorney Says Zimmerman Raked in $204,000 in Donations Via Website


George Zimmerman’s attorney revealed Thursday on CNN that the accused murdered had received about $204,000 from supporters before he shut down the website on which he solicited donations. Lawyer Mark O’Mara said he would discuss the money at a court hearing today in Florida. The hearing was originally scheduled to discuss issues about the unsealing of Zimmerman’s criminal file, but the donations could overshadow that issue.

Zimmerman, 28, is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of unarmed Trayvon Martin, 17. Zimmerman was released Monday after his family posted 10 percent of $150,000 bail. O’Mara had said earlier that he believed Zimmerman had no money. “I think he’s indigent for costs,” he said, adding that Zimmerman’s relatives had few assets. “They tried to portray themselves as indigent that they did not have any money,” said Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump. “We think the court should revoke his bond immediately, and he should be held accountable for misleading the court.”

Comments are closed.