Federal Government Announces Crackdown On Detroit Violence


Responding to the latest spate of violence in Detroit, U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade announced a federal crackdown on the city’s entire east side, saying the crime-plagued area has become the most violent section in the city and warrants federal attention, the Detroit Free Press reports. Homicides, in particular, are “intolerably high” on the east side, where there was a 75 percent jump in homicides last year, she said.

“I made it my personal resolution in 2012 to reduce homicides in the city of Detroit,” McQuade said at a news conference, flanked by 15 uniformed federal, local and State Police officials. “We will not allow Detroit to be defined by violence and homicides.” The city recorded 344 homicides in 2011, up from 308 in 2010. As of Sunday, Detroit has had 49 homicides this year, compared with 39 during the same period last year. However, overall violent crime was down 8 percent last year, with 7,300 fewer incidents. “This is not a bunch of talking heads up here. We mean this,” said Robert Corso, who heads the Drug Enforcement Administration office in Detroit and was raised in the city. “This is a personal vendetta of mine.”

Comments are closed.