After 18 Months, VA Tech Officials Meet With Victims’ Families


A top Virginia Tech official warned her son about the first shootings of last year’s massacre before the university issued any general alert. The Richmond Times-Dispatch said that was one of several new or changing bits of information about the April 16, 2007, shootings that families of the dead learned yesterday in their first group meeting with top Tech officials. The rampage by Seung-Hui Cho killed 32. “It was hard,” Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said of the private eight-hour meeting, which began at 2 p.m. “There is a lot of pain, and there is a lot of hurt.”

Some parents were critical of changing details of the case provided by University police chief Wendell Flinchum. “Chief Flinchum’s story shifted again,” said Michael Pohle, whose son Michael, a graduate student, died in the epsode. Last year, a state panel found, after interviewing Flinchum, that he had told Steger in phone briefings beginning at 8:10 a.m. that the police had a good lead on a suspect. “They’re dodging all the questions. It’s like an Abbott and Costello routine — you know: ‘Who’s on first?'” Pohle said.


Comments are closed.