7 CA Officers On Leave; Chief Finally Talks About Fatal Shooting


Four days after officers fatally shot a homeless man who had a toy gun in his waistband, Inglewood Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks broke her silence on the shooting Thursday, expressing concerns about the officers’ tactics and saying she had placed seven of them on administrative leave, reports the Los Angeles Times. “We could have done a better job tactically,” Seabrooks said of Sunday’s shooting in which officers fired as many as 47 rounds, killing the man and wounding a motorist as well as a dog. “I would have preferred that far fewer rounds would have been fired.”

Seabrooks, who has been chief of the 190-officer department since last year, said the shooting was “very disturbing to the community, to the administration, the Police Department.” Her comments, in an interview with The Times, followed the release of a statement by the Inglewood City Council calling on Seabrooks to consider “a sweeping training program” for the entire department. Sunday’s shooting of Eddie Felix Franco, 56, was the department’s fourth fatal officer-involved shooting in as many months. Three of those slain by police were unarmed, causing concerns among residents and police activists that officers were using poor judgment.

Link: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-inglewood5-2008sep05,0,4043738.story

Comments are closed.