Duke Prosecutor Faces Questions After Rape Charges Gone


In the Duke University lacrosse case, District Attorney Mike Nifong must rely on scanty evidence while deflecting serious questions about whether he broke the law or violated the ethics rules governing prosecutors, reports the Raleigh News & Observer. Nifong has acknowledged that the case hangs on what the accuser says from the witness stand in a hearing scheduled for February. Meanwhile, pressure on Nifong continues to build. When the case returns to court, Nifong might have to explain repeated misrepresentations to judges about what evidence he had and why he did not disclose it all, as state law requires.

Nifong dropped the rape charges on Friday, but felony charges remain pending against three former members of the lacrosse team. They are charged with attacking their accuser, an escort service dancer, at a team party last March. Nifong told The News & Observer that he would not discuss the case outside of court. Last Thursday, he granted The New York Times a three-hour interview. May did not tell the defense that DNA from unidentified men had been found on the accuser’s body and underwear. He acknowledged to the New York Times that he should have turned that favorable evidence over to the defense. Since May, Nifong has repeatedly misrepresented his actions in filings and in face-to-face dealings with judges. Nifong has repeatedly said that he disclosed everything about the DNA evidence.

Link: http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/525091.html

Comments are closed.