Bryant Judge Regrets Pretrial Transcript Release

Print

Kobe Bryant’s accuser had sex shortly after her encounter with the basketball star, the defense alleges. Closed-hearing transcripts released yesterday says the accusation raises questions about who caused the accuser’s injuries and whether she told the truth about her sexual encounters, reports the Denver Post. The transcripts made public by District Judge Terry Ruckriegle mistakenly had been sent by e-mail last month to seven media outlets; their release has been the subject of legal battles taken all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. “It is with great reluctance that this court releases these transcripts,” Ruckriegle said yesterday. “The effect of this release is to present narrowly limited, one- sided evidence and argument to the public prior to the selection of a jury and without reference to the totality of the evidence.”

The trial is set to begin Aug. 27. The evidence doesn’t preclude the possibility that the woman was indeed sexually assaulted – regardless of what she may have done afterward. “We want to remind people that this is just one piece of evidence,” said Cynthia Stone of the Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault. She said “the only question in this trial [is] not whether this woman had sex with other people, but whether Kobe Bryant forced her to have sex against her will.”

Link: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~28682~2310545,00.html

Comments are closed.