After Gun Violence, Detroit Mayor Vows Murder Drop

Print More

After Detroit’s second outbreak of gun violence in less than a week, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick called for city, county, and federal law enforcement officials to renew their commitment to take guns off the streets, says the Detroit Free Press. Police said they had a suspect in custody in connection with the Tuesday night shootings that killed three people and injured three more. Admitting that a 2002 effort to curb violence in the city had sputtered, Kilpatrick said city officials need to work more closely with Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Collins, and federal agencies like the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The Free Press has reported that the city’s Project Safe Neighborhoods anticrime initiative, which was supposed to be implemented in each of the city’s 13 police precincts, faltered after starting in less than half of them. After registering 361 homicides last year, a 36-year low, the city has been plagued by a rash of killings and multiple shootings, raising fears that Detroit will surpass last year’s total. Kilpatrick, who visited the scene of Tuesday’s shootings, predicted the homicide rate will drop this year. “We will finish this year where we were last year or beneath that,” he said. “This is my issue.”

Link: http://www.freep.com/news/locway/shot1_20040701.htm

Comments are closed.