California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who promised to seek an independent investigation into allegations that he groped or harassed women during his acting career, has dropped the idea. “After consulting with legal counsel and advisors, the governor has concluded that given the political nature of the allegations, an investigation would only provide more fodder for his political opponents,” said Schwarzenegger spokesman Rob Stutzman, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
The announcement came shortly after a former movie stuntwoman sued Schwarzenegger for libel. Rhonda Miller charged that a campaign aide, Sean Walsh, had led reporters to believe that she was a convicted felon after she accused the actor of sexually abusing her on two movie sets.
Miller said false information about her having a criminal past had been broadcast nationally after she accused the governor of misconduct at a news conference the day before the Oct. 7 recall election.
The Chronicle says that Walsh an e-mail to many journalists containing the Web address for the Los Angeles criminal courts and told recipients to enter Miller’s name. Later that day, KFI radio, the MSNBC cable network, and other media reported that the governor’s accuser had a long record of convictions for prostitution, drugs, forgery and grand larceny. Miller says the reports were based on cases involving other women named Rhonda Miller.