Family pressures apparently set off the Dallas standoff that ended with three people dead and four police officers wounded. The attorney for Francisco Fuentes, who was killed in a gun battle with police, said that over the last 16 months, the 32-year-old truck driver had lost solvency, his house, his marriage, and custody of his three daughters, the Dallas Morning News reports. He also was facing four criminal charges.
Fuentes discussed with his attorney on Tuesday how to defend himself against what he said were false charges that he assaulted his former wife’s boyfriend and violated custody orders. The attorney, Phillip Wainscott, said Fuentes was nervous and under pressure, but he saw no sign that his client was planning the homicidal violence that erupted inside his former wife’s apartment early Wednesday. “He just snapped, and people do terrible things when they snap,” said Wainscott, a retired Dallas police officer.
Fuentes had been arrested three times since early September because of incidents involving his children, spending five days in jail before being released Sept. 10 on bond on charges of beating and shooting at his ex-wife’s boyfriend, who was one of two men Fuentes shot to death yesterday.
The Morning News said that police negotiated the release of Fuentes’ ex-wife and the couple’s three young children. They shot tear gas into the apartment, where Fuentes had holed up in a bathroom. SWAT officers entered the apartment and broke through the bathroom door. “The guy just opened fire on them,” said Deputy Chief Troy McClain, commander of the tactical section. One officer was shot; officers returned fire and killed Fuentes. “This was a huge operation in that this individual had killed two people, wounded three officers already and appeared to be very determined not to be taken alive and to cause as much havoc as he could,” McClain said. “The training of these SWAT officers is second to none. … I feel like this is how the training pays off.”