It was bloody on the streets of Boston’s Dorchester area over the weekend, with three men wounded in a pair of stabbings late Saturday and an unrelated shooting early yesterday, the Boston Globe says. The attacks were the latest in a rash of violence that spiked late last week when three people – including a 14-year-old boy – were killed in the city in a 24-hour span.
The victims of violence that has plagued Boston’s streets this year have been predominately black. Street workers said the rise in violence is partially attributable to the lack of structured activity between the last day of school and July 4, when summer programs traditionally kick off.
As of this morning, that period will be over, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said. While the summer jobs program has been cut sharply from last summer, the city’s public pools, youth summer programs, and Boston Neighborhood Basketball League all open today. “We’re concerned, but we’re not panicking,” Menino said of the violence. ”The police are doing their job, but you can’t expect police and government to do it alone. The community has to be involved, not once every six months, but on a continual, day-to-day basis.”